Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Decorative Wine Boxes

I recently picked up these paper mache wine boxes on a whim at Hobby Lobby. I was not sure how I would decorate them. I was thinking what great gifts these would make for Christmas and/or New Years with a bottle of wine or champagne. It's never to early to think about the holidays and avoid the stress later.

When I sat down to decorate them. I remembered I had this big roll of paintable embossed wall paper I had picked up at Home depot years ago for another project -
it was perfect for the look I was going for.
 
I measured out my boxes and cut my paper pieces a couple of times (I forgot to - measured twice cut once). Good thing I have a big roll of this paper.
 
Next I watered down some Tacky glue I had on hand so that I could brush it on quickly and easily attach the paper. Working one piece at a time until the entire boxes were covered. Then I let dry completely before sanding the edges smooth.
 
Here is what they looked like before painting them.
 
 
I mixed acrylic paint that I had to get my desired color and tested it out on some scraps of the embossed paper before painting the boxes.
 
Once that paint was dry I antiqued this one by rubbing watered down
brown paint over it with a wet towel.

Then I rubbed a lighter color of paint over the high parts to highlight it
using a dry towel and very little paint followed by a spray of Matt clear coat. 
 
For this red one I used a black gel stain to antique it which gives it a satin finish and eliminates the need for a clear protective coat.
 
Then for the focal points - I went to work with paper and ink to create a label and tag to adorn them.

A trip to JoAnn's to find cording to replace the paper handles and voila! They are ready for gifting.

 
 










 


 

 





 




Supplies used:

For the label:

Papaya Collage Stamp Set #126612 (clear) #126610 (wood)
Established Elegance Stamp Set #122530 (clear) #122532 (wood)
StazOn Ink pad - Jet Black #101406
Sahara Sand Stamp Pad #126976
Watercolor  paper #122959
Basic Black Card Stock #121045
Bravo Burgundy Stampin' Write Marker #119701 (Regal collection)
Soft Suede Stampin' Write Marker #119703 (Neutral collection)
Crumb Cake Stampin' Write Marker #120967
Color Spritzer Tool #107066
Stampin' Sponge #101610
Dazzling Details - Silver Sparkle #127845
Stampin' Dimensionals #104430
Rhinestone Basic Jewels #119246

For the tag:

Artistic Etchings Stamp Set #120573 (clear) #118517 (wood)
Layered Labels Set #127072 (clear) #127070 (wood)
Watercolor Paper #122959
Basic Gray Card Stock #121044
StazOn Ink pad - Jet Black #101406
More Mustard Stamp Pad #126964
Early Espresso Stamp Pad #126974
Stampin' Sponge #101610
Stampin' Dimensionals #104430
Stampin' Dazzle Marker - Silver #128978
Dazzling Details - Silver Sparkle #127845
Framelits Dies - Ovals Collection #129381
Framelits Dies - Apothecary Accents #127003
Big Shot - Die Cutting Machine #113439


The numbered Stampin' Up! items above can be purchased here.


Thanks for stopping by! Comments and questions welcome.


Holly
 

7 comments:

  1. Wow!! These are really gorgeous gifts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope I get the same response from the giftee's.

      Delete
  2. These came out so pretty. Thanks so much for sharing with Adorned From Above's Blog Hop 55. We can't wait to see what you have for us this week. This weeks party is live.
    Have a great week.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave feedback




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...